Electro-Optical Devices Laboratory (EDL) at the Electronics and Communication Engineering of Istanbul Technical University focuses on solutions for a wire variety of applications in the general fields of MEMS, Microfluidics, Biomedical Optics and Soft Robotics. Specifically, 2021’s focus was on three specific areas;
- Laser Scanning Capsule Endoscopy: offering a pill endoscope with high resolution and multi-layer imaging capability
- 3D printed hydraulic actuator for tissue confocal imaging , and
- Blood viscosity measurement microfluidic device targeted for point-of-care
During 2021, EDL faculty members Professors Ahmet Can Erten and Onur Ferhanoğlu have been the principal investigators of multiple TUBITAK grants applied for two US patent applications [3,4] and published more than 10 international journal articles. A start-up company: Mikronos Biomedikal  has been founded at ITU Teknokent, aiming to design and build microfluidic based coagulation sensors.
- O Gürcüoğlu et al, “A 3D-printed 3D actuator for miniaturized laser scanning probes”, Sensors and Actuators A (317), 2021
- M. M. Aria, A.C. Erten, O Yalcin, “Technology Advancements in blood coagulation measurements for point-of-care diagnostic testing”, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology (7), 2019.
- US. Patent application 17/260,822: Microfluidic thromboelastometry instrument
- US. Patent application 17/260,358: High resolution prism spectrometer comprising a diffuser film
- Mikrokronos Biomedial: http://www.mikronos.com.tr/